Dust Control for the bedroom environment
The holiday season is almost end. We have celebrated together with our families and friends to welcome a brand new year. However, it is fact that the long and cold winter makes us stay inside more. We all minimized the time of letting our doors and windows open. Less cold air, less wind, more warmth, more isolation, we did all these to keep the indoor temperature pleasant for us. Do you know, it is also what dust mites love?
For the long and cold winter, there are couple of tips can be applied easily in order to keep the dust mites level low in your house.
- Replace feather and down pillows with those ones have synthetic fillings.
- Enclose the mattress top and sides with a plastic cover, thoroughly vacuuming mattress, pillows, and the base of the bed on a regular base.
- Daily damp the dust away from the plastic mattress cover.
- Weekly (or at least seasonally) change and wash pillowcases, sheets, and under blankets, and vacuum the bed base and also around the covered mattress.
- Replace woolen blankets with nylon or, preferable, cotton cellulose ones.
- Frequently wash all bedding (blankets, mattress, pads and etc.) in hot water (130 degrees Fahrenheit weekly, or at least seasonally). Also wash curtains.
- Remove carpet and replace with wood, tile, laminates, or vinyl floor covering.
- Let in the fresh air as much as you can, and do it as frequent as you can.
Keith L. Smith, Associate Vice President for Ag. Adm. and Director, OSU Extension.
TDD No. 800-589-8292 (Ohio only) or 614-292-6181